Friday, August 27, 2010
Grilled Steak Salad with Green Beans and Blue Cheese
Yield: 2 servings
This makes a great Summer lunch or you can double the size for a dinner portion.
1/3 lb. Slender green beans, trimmed
1 c. Arugula
1/2 c. Cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 c. Pitted kalamata olives, halved
1/4 c. Olive oil
1.5 T. Balsamic vinegar
1 8 oz. Steak, filet or Ny strip
1/4 c. Crumbled blue cheese
Salt and pepper as needed
1. Preheat grill to medium high heat.
2. In small bowl or ziploc bag, marinate steak with the olive oil, vinegar salt and pepper for at least 30 minutes but preferably overnight. Place steak on grill at 45 degree angle for a couple minutes and then turn 45 degrees for 2 more minutes to achieve nice hatch marks. Flip steak and cook to desired temperature. **I prefer mid-rare, about 135 degrees.** Remove steak and let rest while you prepare the rest of the dish.
3. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan and season with salt. Blanch green beans in water for about a minute and shock them in a bowl of ice water. **this will cook the green beans slightly while making them a bright green color**
4. In a bowl combine arugula with tomatoes, olives and green beans and season with salt and pepper.
5. Slice steak on the bias about 1/4" thick slices. Place a mound of arugula mixture in the center of each plate, top each salad with 4 ounces of steak and crumbled blue cheese.